Sunday, October 5, 2014

Brainy Treat Box

I was so flattered when Michelle invited me to be a guest designer for ScrappyDew a couple of weeks ago. I decided I wanted to continue the Halloween theme I've carried on the last weeks, so here it is. Brainie the Zombie.


Using the Zombies - 2013 pattern on my base box I covered all four sides. This is a different technique from what I've been doing, and it looks great (as you all know by now, I love dimensional stuff)





I  really wanted to give this box an apocalyptic feeling and decided the comic inking technique would do  the job.



Using distress inks on a watercolor brush to shade (Pumice Stone, Shabby Shutters  and Tea Dye) and an American Crafts 0.01 point precision pen I outlined all the cuts and added shadows. For highlights, as always, I used my Pilot choose white gel pen.

Finally, I topped the box with my own design of a bony hand, drawn with a Pilot V5 pen on the explore and colored with distress inks as well.

There's a lot of hand drawing here, but it also looks great without the inking. Scrappy Dew patterns rock! If you want to make this one go to the Scrappy Dew site and get this awesome pattern (comes with a zombie girl also).

~Omar~